Friday, September 20, 2013

Reviewing "The Raven"

After reading and discussing Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" I asked 11th grade American Lit students to imagine they were critics in 1845 and to review the poem as if it had just come out. Here are some of their reviews:

Poe constructs his finest work yet; "The Raven" was a mysterious, disturbing story of how a reasonable man is transformed by grief. Told in rhymes, "The Raven" is both entertaining and gripping. The realistic responses of the narrator to his strange situation make his eventual decline into insanity perturb the reader. Poe’s exploration of human nature under circumstances of grief culminates in an experience that will both fascinate and haunt the reader. Lyrical fire.

Paul Sheils

"The Raven" is a poem that describes a man pondering his sorrows when a raven appears on his door. This poem marks the beginning of Edward Allen Poe’s success, which I’m sure the world will see much more of. The poem has a mysterious tone, which is intriguing for the reader. The highlight of the poem is the ending, when the raven never leaves the speaker. In this situation, the raven represents the speaker’s sorrows over his lost lover Lenore. Poe’s The Raven is surly one of the finest poems of the decade.  

Nina O'Brien

Last night as I sat upon mine desk I took upon to a piece of writing that grabbed my fancy. I soon unearthed that I was examining the verbose thoughts of Sir Poe. 'Twas “The Raven” that mine eyes gazed upon. As I took to comprehending this work of the unknown it frolicked with my sentimental feelings. Poe’s work of enigma was inscribed to the paper with appreciable delicacy. His delicate piece of writing thrilled my mind as I feel inclined to say that it was good.  

Ryan Donohue








No comments:

Post a Comment