Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Math in the Snow



While attending the Seven Nations Cup in Europe, Chip Knight sent us this picture of Patrick Coughlin doing math in the snow with his ski pole. Here’s Pat’s side of the story:

“As we were waiting around for the nine o’clock lift in Berchtesgaden, Germany one of the coaches took out his range finder. All the guys outside were guessing the distances of different objects around the ski area. I took the rangefinder and shot the distance of the top of one tree. Then shot the bottom of the tree. One coach proceeded to ask me what the height of the tree was. I knew I could use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the height. I had the length of C to the top of the tree and A to the base of the tree and had to find B, the height of tree. I calculated the height of the tree to be 31 meters.”


No comments:

Post a Comment